Empathetic Counsel. Aggressive Representation.
Walnut Creek Sexual Assault Attorneys
Compassionate and Aggressive Legal Representation in the Bay Area
Hundreds of thousands of sexual assaults are reported in the United States each year, and many more incidents likely go unreported and undetected. The criminal justice system pursues charges against many assailants, and convictions can result in prison time and other serious penalties for perpetrators. However, criminal cases do little to help victims of sexual assault recover compensation for the physical, emotional, and financial harms they have endured.
The civil court system allows victims to file injury lawsuits against their assailants to seek damages for pain and suffering, mental trauma, physical injuries, medical bills, and more. Our Walnut Creek sexual assault lawyers are committed to helping you pursue justice via this remedy and can aggressively represent your interests in and out of the courtroom. Our team at Ratner Molineaux has handled hundreds of jury trials and knows how these cases are adjudicated in California and federal courts. We are also compassionate to the emotional challenges that come with filing this type of legal action, and our empathetic attorneys will be there to support you every step of the way.
Filing a Claim for Sexual Assault in California
Sexual assault victims have the right to recover damages for their injuries from their assailants as well as any other parties that facilitated the assault or negligently allowed the assault to occur. For example, if the assault occurred in your workplace, your employer may be liable if they failed to adequately protect their employees.
Both adults and children have the right to pursue civil legal action against assailants and parties that enable them, and numerous claims have been filed against:
- The Boy Scouts of America
- The Catholic Church (and other religious organizations)
- Coaches, sports doctors, and athletics organizations
- Law enforcement officers and prisons
California’s statutes of limitations for bringing civil legal action against sexual assailants are complex and sometimes confusing. If you were an adult when the assault occurred, you will have up to ten years from the date of the crime to file a civil lawsuit. If you were an adult and the incident occurred prior to 2019, you can also file a civil lawsuit within three years of discovering an injury or illness that resulted from the crime.
If you were a child when the assault occurred, you will typically have until your 40th birthday to file a civil lawsuit. You can also pursue legal action within five years of discovering sexual abuse. California established new statutes of limitations in 2020 that allow child victims to file claims that would not have been permitted under old rules so long as legal action is sought within 3 years.
Even if abuse occurred many years ago, you should consider speaking to our Walnut sexual assault attorneys. We can determine whether you are still able to file a claim and help you understand your rights and legal options.
Empathetic Counsel. Aggressive Litigation.
Involved in 300+ Jury Trials
65+ Years of Experience in Litigation
“I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone in need of truly outstanding representation.”- R.D.
Survivors of sexual assault may be able to recover various forms of compensation through successful civil lawsuits. Damages generally fall under three separate categories, and the types of compensation potentially available to you will depend on the specific circumstances of your case.
Our legal team at Ratner Molineaux can fight to recover:
- Economic Damages. Economic damages are quantifiable and cover any expenses or losses you incurred as a direct result of the assault. This includes costs associated with hospital bills, rehabilitative care, therapy, and other forms of physical and mental treatment. You may also be able to recover current and future lost wages if you are physically and/or emotionally unable to work due to the assault.
- Non-Economic Damages. These types of damages are not explicitly calculable but are meant to compensate you for other types of sustained harm. Emotional distress, mental anguish, reductions in quality of life, and physical and emotional pain and suffering are covered under this category.
- Punitive Damages. Punitive damages are less common but can sometimes be sought if you wish to punish the perpetrator of your assault. These damages can be awarded if the crime was especially egregious or malicious.
Our Walnut sexual assault lawyers understand the unfathomable difficulties you are experiencing as a survivor and are ready to serve as your diligent legal advocates. Members of our team have represented clients in huge cases involving sexual assault, and we are not afraid to go up against powerful organizations. We will always fight to obtain the maximum available compensation and secure the favorable outcome you deserve.